Friday, July 3, 2009

Psalm for the 4th of July

Happy 4th of July!

Photo from http://tinyurl.com/le3ku6


Psalm for the 4th of July

I rejoiced when I heard them announce,
“The time of warfare is past.
No more will brother hate brother
or violence have its way.
No more will they drown out God’s silence
and shut their hearts to his song.”

Pray for peace in the cities
and harmony among the races.
May peace come to live on our streets
and justice within our walls.
With all my heart I will pray
that peace comes to live among us.
For the sake of all earth’s people,
I will do my utmost for peace.

(Psalm 122, trans. by Stephen Mitchell)



I enjoy the 4th of July. Although my level of “patriotism” has waxed and waned a lot with various presidential administrations, I have always had a soft spot in my heart for the original vision of the founding fathers (and mothers!) of this country. I admire the wisdom of the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution. And I am happy to live in this country – especially since the last Presidential election. Although we have a lot of problems to solve, I am hopeful and grateful.

The city of Cottonwood does a nice job of fireworks each year. I will go to a nice place I know, up on a hill overlooking the town, and I will sit with friends in the evening breeze, enjoying the mild summer night weather, the lights of Cottonwood and Jerome, and the beauty of the fireworks.

Life is good!

Wishing you a day of appreciation and enjoyment~



Blessings,
Shakura Cathryn
www.moonsinger.com
www.dancingpeace.blogspot.com
http://sites.google.com/site/dupnaz/
“Democracy is based upon the conviction that there are extraordinary possibilities in ordinary people.” ~ Harry Emerson Fosdick, 1878 – 1969

No comments: