Tuesday, October 12, 2010

For Dog Lovers

Things seem to come around in cycles… the last few days I’ve received several good dog stories and poems. I thought you might enjoy them also.
__________________________________________

I Rescued a Human Today…




























Her eyes met mine as she walked down the corridor peering apprehensively into the kennels.  I felt her need instantly and knew I had to help her.  I wagged my tail, not too exuberantly, so she wouldn't be afraid. 

As she stopped at my kennel I blocked her view from a little accident I had in the back of my cage.  I didn't want her to know that I hadn't been walked today.  Sometimes the shelter keepers get too busy and I didn't want her to think poorly of them. 

As she read my kennel card I hoped that she wouldn't feel sad about my past.  I only have the future to look forward to and want to make a difference in someone's life. 

She got down on her knees and made little kissy sounds at me.  I shoved my shoulder and side of my head up against the bars to comfort her. Gentle fingertips caressed my neck; she was desperate for companionship. 

A tear fell down her cheek and I raised my paw to assure her that all would be well.  Soon my kennel door opened and her smile was so bright that I instantly jumped into her arms.  I would promise to keep her safe.  I would promise to always be by her side. I would promise to do everything I could to see that radiant smile and sparkle in her eyes.  I was so fortunate that she came down my corridor.  So many more are out there who haven't walked the corridors.  So many more to be saved.  At least I could save one. 

I rescued a human today. 
__________________________________________

CROSS RIVER NOCTURNE
by John Dalmas
experienced by the poet in Koochiching County, Minnesota
November 1947

In the night the powder snow
lay deep on woods and fields.
I jogged for warmth.
Through autumn pants and drawers,
my thighs ached from the cold
that gripped the land like iron.

I should have stayed in town.

I slowed for rest,
walking backward watching
the towering northern lights,
great ranked fluorescent spears
advancing and retreating .

The cold roweled me, and I ran again.

Ahead a farmhouse hunched,
low, snow-laden, lightless in the night,
the last house on my way
and nine miles more to go,
nine miles of bog and forest,
and twenty-nine below.

Did I dare?
The place was still, but by the house,
a battered pickup said they were at home.

Nine miles to jog on legs already tired.

My boots creaked on the tire-packed snow,
as senses honed by stillness and the act,
I walked toward the house,
a weathered cabin of squared logs,
with curtained windows, and the smell of smoke
faintly pungent in the snow-lit night.

A half-hour’s rest, that’s all.

It was unlocked. The hinges made no sound.
Inside was darker far than out of doors.
A banked fire leaked thin glowing lines,
edging the door of a stove that once
had been a drum of oil.

A chair stood dimly near it, and I sat.

What was that? Claws on linoleum!

A shaggy farm dog walked into the room.
Large in the darkness,
came and sniffed, then lay down by my feet,
silently accepting, as if he understood.
__________________________________________

And finally there is this great video of Jimmy Stewart on Johnny Carson’s TV show, reading his poem “Beau.” Classic!





Blessings,
Shakura Cathryn
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~Groucho Marx
"Animals give me more pleasure through the viewfinder of a camera than they ever did in the crosshairs of a gunsight. And after I've finished "shooting," my unharmed victims are still around for others to enjoy. I have developed a deep respect for animals. I consider them fellow living creatures with certain rights that should not be violated any more than those of humans." ~Jimmy Stewart 

No comments: