Thursday, October 1, 2009

If It Be Your Will - Leonard Cohen



“Awhile ago, faced with some obstacles of my own... I wrote this song… well, it’s more of a prayer….” ~Leonard Cohen


The lyrics of this one are really touching my heart today....
_______________________________________


If it be your will that I speak no more
and my voice be still as it was before
I will speak no more
I shall abide until I am spoken for
If it be your will


If it be your will that a voice be true
from this broken hill I will sing to you
from this broken hill all your praises they shall ring
if it be your will to let me sing
from this broken hill all your praises they shall ring
if it be your will to let me sing


If it be your will, if there is a choice
let the rivers fill, let the hills rejoice
let your mercy spill on all these burning hearts in hell
if it be your will to make us well


And draw us near and bind us tight
all your children here in their rags of light
in our rags of light all dressed to kill
and end this night if it be your will


If it be your will...
_______________________________________


There are a number of versions of this on YouTube. It was difficult to choose which one to post here. There is something so touching about the deep sorrow in Leonard Cohen's voice - it almost contains a silence within the sound - that makes it even more poignant.


There is another wonderful version here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxBKmk8Y81w
It's a live version of a concert with the Webb Sisters. It opens with Leonard Cohen speaking the words, and then the beautiful voices of the Webb Sisters. Unfortunately,not all of the song is there... but it's worth watching for several reasons.


If it be your will... I will sing to you,
With Love and Blessings,
Shakura Cathryn
www.moonsinger.com
www.dancingpeace.blogspot.com
http://sites.google.com/site/dupnaz/  
“I teach my sighs to lengthen into songs.” ~Theodore Roethke

No comments: