Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Encounter -- Czeslaw Milosz


Encounter

We were riding through frozen fields in a wagon at dawn.
A red wing rose in the darkness.

And suddenly a hare ran across the road.
One of us pointed to it with his hand.

That was long ago. Today neither of them is alive,
Not the hare, nor the man who made the gesture.

O my love, where are they, where are they going?
The flash of a hand, streak of movement, rustle of pebbles.
I ask not out of sorrow, but in wonder.

~ Czeslaw Milosz ~

This arrived in my inbox today, on a day when I’m still contemplating the unexpected death of my friend, and I also got an e-mail reminding me of the disappearance of a local woman last March. That mystery still has not been solved. Life seems so “solid” in a way. We have these bodies which we can see, feel, touch. Sometimes they are heavy to carry around. We seem so PHYSICAL, so earthly in our “aliveness.” And yet, our physical existence can just cease to be, at any minute.

I know that’s not a bad thing, and that we truly are eternal and CONSCIOUS in a way that transcends and gloriously exceeds all our physical experiences…. and yet, it’s such a mystery.

Although I am still feeling grief and sorrow, I am also feeling awe and wonder.

Another thing about being in - and suddenly out - of the body came to me today... this article about Michaela Roser's near death experience:
http://www.aolhealth.com/health/back-from-dead?ncid=webmaildl3

And BTW, a hare suddenly ran across the road in front of me today.
Coincidence? I think not.

Blessings,
Shakura Cathryn
www.moonsinger.com 
www.dancingpeace.blogspot.com  
http://sites.google.com/site/dupnaz/  
"One day I will leave this world and Dream myself to Reality" ~Crazy Horse 1874

No comments: